Singo's Beef and Guinness Casserole
INGREDIENTS - Serves 6
* 1kg SINGOS lean blade steak
* About ¼ cup oil for frying
* 4 onions, peeled and diced (or 16 baby onions or shallots)
* 1 Tbsp minced garlic
* 4 Tbsp flour
* 2 cups Guinness
* 2 cups beef stock
* 4 rashers of SINGOS bacon, chopped
* About 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or ¼ tsp dried
* 12-18 dried prunes * Pared rind 1 orange
1. Cut the blade steak into 5cm cubes. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and
brown the meat over a moderately high heat until well browned. Transfer to a casserole.
This is best done in 2-3 batches.
2. Add the onions or shallots to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, before adding the garlic and cooking a further minute.
3. Sprinkle the flour over and stir well to coat the onions. Gradually pour in the Guinness and beef stock and bring to the boil to make a smooth sauce. Pour over the meat in the casserole and then mix in the bacon, thyme, prunes and orange rind.
4. Cook at 160°C for 1½ - 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Serve over mashed potatoes.